Sunday, January 27, 2013

Litany Imitation


Dad…

You are the inspiration and the drive,
the hope and the dream.
You are the example
and the proof.
You are the strength,
and the support.

However, you are not perfect,
All knowing,
or invincible.
And you are certainly not whole.
There is just no way that you are whole.

It is possible that you are scarred,
maybe even permanently,
but you are not even close
to being lost.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither soft
nor weak.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I want to follow in your footsteps.

I also happen to be a dreamer,
driven
and scarred.

I am also the strength
and the support.
But don't worry; I'm not the inspiration and the dream.
You are still the inspiration and the dream.
You will always be the inspiration and the dream,
not to mention the confidante and--somehow--the everything.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robert. There's a pretty major difference in your version versus the Collins version. Collins relies heavily on figurative language (comparison). You rely heavily on abstraction. I'm curious what would be revealed about your father if you rose to the challenge of working in all comparison. I would bet we'd know your father better than we know him via words like hope and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert
    I know the relationship bettween you and your dad has had many problems. I am glad to see thing improving
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Robert, really nice poem I miss my dad now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem is very moving. It made me think about my Dad. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete